Canning Department Rules and General Information
Chairperson: Sandy Rubchinuk (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Canning exhibit is displayed in the Coolidge Hall Building.
Entry Form Due Date: September 4th, 2018
Receiving Day: Saturday, September 8th, 2018, 10:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M.;
Pick-Up Day: Tuesday, October 9th, 2018 2:00 P.M. - 5:45 P.M.
The Canning Department requires that the exhibitors pre-enter by showing all classes on the entry form which you feel 'might' be entered. Entry tags can be prepared in advance. Entry forms must be received no later than September 4, 2018. Entries will be taken on Saturday, September 8th, 2018 from 10:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. at the Coolidge Hall Building.
ALL OPEN CLASSES
Rules & Regulations
Please Also Read General Rules for Family Living Center under the Craft Department
ENTRIES SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO THE COOLIDGE HALL ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2018 FROM 10:00 A.M. TO 2:00 P.M.
- Canning must be of current year's productions and made by the exhibitor. Produce does not have to be grown by exhibitor.
- All classes are to consist of TWO identical jars, unless otherwise stated.
- The jars in each entry must be identical in all respects; i.e. size, shape and mouth size. All jars must have a tight fitting metal lid with screwband or glass top. Commercial lids will not be accepted.
- Each jar must be labeled with the name of the product. Note type of processing and amount of time processed on front of jar. (On canning label, if space allows. Water bath or pressure canner.)
- Owner's name and address must be clearly written on the underside of each jar for identification.
- MISLABELED PRODUCTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- ALL PRODUCTS, INCLUDING JAM, SHALL BE SEALED AS THE U.S.D.A. RECOMMENDS. REFER TO "BALL BLUE BOOK."
- Each entrant will be limited to 15 entries and each exhibitor may make only one entry in each class. Example: B7 is a class, B8 is a class. If your entry belongs in a specific class it must be entered into that class and not as "ANY OTHER".
- DECORATIVE COVERINGS AND BASKETS SHOULD NOT BE USED EXCEPT IN CLASS A8.
- Classes A3-A7, B22-25, C1-D5, G1-L3 will be opened for tasting by judges. It is recommended that jellies, jams and preserves be put in half pint size containers.
- PLEASE INCLUDE on an 8 1/2 " x 11" page, the recipe of each entry in these classes. One recipe per sheet. Note name and class number on each recipe sheet.
- All exhibits must be removed on Tuesday, October 9, 2018 between 2:00 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. All jars left will become property of Coolidge Building, and we can not be responsible for their return.
- ALL DECISIONS MADE BY THE JUDGES ARE FINAL AND WILL NOT BE AMENDED.
Classes A - K
Awards: FIRST $10.00 SECOND $7.50 THIRD $5.00
CLASS - CLASS A1-A7 ARE NOT TO BE IN BASKET
- Collection 3 jars of fruit, 1 jar each of 3 kinds
- Collection 3 jars of vegetables, 1 jar each of 3 kinds
- Collection of 3 jars of jam, all different, 1 jar each
- Collection of 3 jars of jellies, all different, 1 jar each
- Collection of 3 jars of preserves, all different, 1 jar each
- Collection of 3 jars of pickles, all different, 1 jar each
- Collection of 3 jars of relishes, all different, 1 jar each
- Best Collection of 5 jars, arranged in a basket. Each jar must be a different product. 1 jar each. Collection should represent a theme of the exhibitor's choice.
Awards: FIRST $5.00 SECOND $3.00 THIRD $2.00
CLASS - 2 JARS EACH
- Beans, Kentucky Wonder - not pickled
- Beans, Snap, green - not pickled
- Beans, Snap, yellow - not pickled
- Beets, sliced
- Beets, whole
- Carrots, sliced
- Carrots, whole
- Corn, off the cob
- Peppers - not pickled
- Squash, summer
- Squash, zucchini
- Tomato Sauce (recipe required)
- Tomatoes, peeled, whole
- Tomatoes, peeled, quartered
- Tomatoes, stewed - recipe required
- Tomato juice
- Tomato puree
- Tomato & Zucchini combined
- Spaghetti Sauce (recipe required)
- Bar-b-que Sauce
- Salsa (recipe required)
- Fruit Salsa (recipe required)
- Garden Special (a combination of vegetables)
- Any other vegetable
NOTE: In classes B-14 through B-25: Be aware that any time a nonacid vegetable is added to tomatoes, it must be pressure processed unless vinegar or other acid is added.
- Pickles, sweet
- Pickles, sour
- Pickles, dill
- Pickled Beans
- Pickled peppers
- Pickled Beets
- Bread & butter pickles
- Mustard pickles
- Pickled Garden Combo
- Other pickled vegetables
- Relish, sweet
- Relish, corn
- Fruit relish
- Relish, other
- Soup, same variety (recipe required)
- Peaches, sliced
- Peaches, halves
- Pears, sliced
- Pears, halved
- Citrus Fruit
- Fruit Special (combination of fruits)
- Applesauce, with skins
- Applesauce, without skins
- Fruit juice
- Any other fruit
- Grape Jelly - Concord
- Grape Jelly - other - (no Concord grapes)
- Apple Jelly
- Herb Jelly
- Pepper Jelly
- Other Jelly
- Strawberry Jam
- Raspberry Jam
- Blueberry Jam
- Peach Jam
- Grape Jam
- Plum Jam
- Blackberry Jam
- Preserves - Strawberry
- Preserves - Other
- Apple Butter
- Fruit Butter
Brandied fruits, also commonly known as "Crocked Fruits" or "Friendship Fruits", include any fruits which have been fermented in sugar and/or alcoholic spirits. Recipe must be included on an 8 1/2 " x 11" sheet. Note name and class number on each sheet.
CLASS - 2 JARS EACH
- Brandied peaches
- Brandied pears
- Brandied fruit
A special award will be presented by the Essex Agricultural Society for Best of Show.
The Essex County Co-Op will present a canning kit to the NOVICE EXHIBITOR with the highest total number of points.
Dawson's True Value Hardware Of Topsfield And Beverly will present a case of Ball Canning Jars for Best of Show
A case of canning jars will be awarded to the Senior Exhibitor with the highest amount of points.
A case of canning jars will be awarded to the Junior Exhibitor with the highest amount of points.
Rules & Regulations
- Entry must be a single covered glass jar: half pints, pints or quarts.
- Label will include the contents of the jar.
- The owner's name and address must be clearly written on the underside of the jar for identification.
- Each exhibitor may make only one entry in each class.
- JARS WILL BE OPENED FOR TASTING.
Judging will be based upon:
- Overall appearance.
- Taste of contents.
- Texture of fruit.
- Composition of mixture.
All vegetables, except tomatoes, must be pressure processed. For fruits, tomatoes and pickled vegetables, use a boiling water bath canner. Tomatoes should be done by hot pack method per recommendation of Massachusetts Cooperative Extension Service.
PLEASE USE U.S.D.A. STANDARDS. REFER TO "BALL BLUE BOOK."
SOME OF THE CRITERIA THE JUDGES WILL BE CONSIDERING ARE:
- How well rules were followed.
- Processing method and time
- Mold or obvious spoilage
- Condition of the product, consistent size, color
- Color of product, clarity of liquids
- Condition of seal. POOR SEALS ARE ELIMINATED WHEN JUDGING. STICKY JARS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Overall appearance. Jars and covers must be clean.
- Judges look for equal quality in taste in all entries in classes A-3 through A-7.