Fine Arts Division - Amateur
Fine Arts Division (Amateur) General Information
Chairperson: Amanda Guerino (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deadline for Receiving Entry Forms: September 3rd, 2018
Receiving Days at Coolidge Hall:
Saturday, September 8, 2018 12:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Sunday, September 9th, 2018 12:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Pick Up Day at Coolidge Hall: Tuesday, October 9th, 2018 2:00 P.M. - 6:00 P.M.
After 30 days, artwork becomes property of Topsfield Fair.
Come and learn about the Topsfield Fair Fine Art Exhibit! Amateur artists (aged 18 and older) are encouraged to volunteer to monitor the exhibition during the Fair. Please indicate your volunteer interest on entry form. Volunteer Schedule will be posted at Receiving Dates (9/8 & 9/9) as well. Each volunteer will receive admission to enter the fairgrounds.
Rules and Regulations
- RULES: Amateurs are non-professionals who do not benefit from financial gain for the sale of their artwork. Entry form and fee must be received by September 3rd, 2018. One (1) entry per person in the Amateur Division. You may enter either online or by downloading the form and mailing it to: Topsfield Fair, P.O. Box 134, Topsfield, MA 01983
- FEES: Each entry in the Amateur juried art competition requires a $5.00 entry fee. Entry fee must be submitted with official entry form. Payable online or by check/cash and mailed to Topsfield Fair, P.O. Box 134, Topsfield, MA 01983. Please make check out to: Essex Agricultural Society. Fees are non-refundable and donated to the Essex Agricultural Society.
- ORIGINALITY: Artwork must be original, recent and not previously exhibited at the Fair. Artwork derived from another artist's work, such as calendars, magazines, computer images, or any image of another artist's work is not considered original. Copies and reproductions will not be accepted.
- JURIED ENTRY IDENTIFICATION: All juried competition entries must be clearly labeled on the top back of artwork with the following information:(Example below)
- Amateur Division
- Age Group (see Entry Form)
- Artist's Name
- Telephone #
- Medium (Classification list on Entry Form)
- JURIED ENTRIES: Amateur juried exhibition entries are limited to 1 entry. Overall frame size should not exceed 48 united inches (height + width) *Example 11" x 14" frame is 25" united inches, this includes frame. Due to the large number of entries, oversize work can not be accepted.
- JURIED EXHIBITION: A professional panel of judges selects ribbon winners based on artistic merit, which includes:
- Color and Value
- Technique of the medium
- Presentation (mat/frame)
- FRAMING: Artwork must be securely framed and wired. Will only accept the following: wood frames with screw eyes/d-rings & wire or metal frames with track for metal hangers and wire.
ATTENTION: (see diagram on #8) Unsafe or improperly framed artwork, including no glass or thin wire, will not be accepted. Artwork under glass must be matted, includes all photos. No clip frames, easel back frames, front-loading "pop in" frames, spring clips or staple frames will be accepted. Please assist all children's art work.
- DO-IT YOURSELF FRAMERS: For secure frames that hang flat on wall, attach screw eyes or hangers to each side of the frame at one-third the height from the top of frame. Insert Framing Wire through the hangers and secure ends. Top of wire must be 2-3 inches below the top of frame.
- Receiving Days: Coolidge Hall will be open to recieve artwork on Saturday September 8th and Sunday, September 9th from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Buidling is then closed to arrange for judging.
- Pick-Up Day: All exhibits will be released on Tuesday, October 9th from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Not responsible for artwork remaining after 6:00 p.m. Those articles will be moved to the Administration Building for pick-up. After 30 days, artwork becomes property of the Topsfield Fair.
- Sub-Jr. (8 years and younger)
- Mid-Jr. (9-13 years of age)
- Junior (14-17 years of age)
- Adult (18 years and older)
Enter Your Artwork
One (1) entry per person in the Amateur Division.
Please choose the specific category of your entry:
- 1. Oil/Acrylic
- 2. Watercolors
- 3. Pastel (Soft Pastels or Oil Pastels)
- 4. Mixed Media/Collage
- 5. Drawing
- - Charcoal
- - Crayons
- - Markers
- - Pencils
- - Pen & Ink
- 6. Prints (hand-pulled)
- - Linoleum Block
- - Silk Screen
- - Wood Block
- 7. Computer Graphics
- 8. Color/Black&White