General Rules & Information
** Topsfield Fair and Essex Agricultural Society are not responsible for changes to or omissions from any contest rules, regulations, and/or guidelines.
Exhibitors must adhere to all rules as they apply to individual departments as well as the following regulations:
- The Essex Agricultural Society is a member of the Massachusetts Agricultural Fairs Association. The rules and regulations of this organization will apply where applicable.
- Drinking of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on fairgrounds.
- No smoking allowed in buildings.
- No exhibit shall be removed before the close of the fair, without the express consent of the department head and fair management. Please refer to individual department for specific pickup times.
- Departments designated 4-H and youth are restricted to boys and girls 9 through 19 years of age as of January 1, 2017 unless otherwise stated in department rules.
- All reasonable precautions will be taken by the Society for the safe keeping of animals and articles entrusted to its care, but all exhibits are received upon express condition that THE SOCIETY SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE that may occur to animals or articles on exhibit for any reason. Exhibitors, contestants, and/or participants agree to be solely responsible for any loss, injury to, damage done, occasioned by or arising from any exhibit, equipment, animal or person and to defend and indemnify the Society and the management thereof against all claims and liability in regard thereto. In view of this understanding, exhibitors, contestants, and/or participants may deem it advisable to obtain appropriate liability insurance.
- No person will be awarded premium checks without providing the Fair office with his/her social security number.
- Please remember to wash hands after touching animals!