Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off - General Information
The 34th All New England Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off is sponsored by the Topsfield Fair. Dedicated to George & Mary Ann Hoomis.
Chairpersons: Woody Lancaster - (978) 407-2616
Weigh-Off will be Friday, September 28th, 2018, 4:00 P.M. in the Arena.
Unloading of pumpkins begins at 1:00 P.M.
Please read everything before submitting your entry.
Entry Form Deadline: September 15, 2018
Rules & Regulations
Due to strict time constraints, the following rules and regulations apply.
- Entries will be judged according to GPC Rules and Regulations.
- Judges decision is final.
- Entries must be free of all foreign matter (fungicides, wax, etc.).
- Pumpkin/Squash must weigh a minimum of 350 pounds to be eligible.
- You may be requested to leave your vehicle in the arena area for immediate re-loading after your entry is weighed. Loading will be handled in this manner for as many of the first-weighed pumpkins as possible. You will then move your vehicle to parking area.
- Growers and guests will receive nametags upon registration. Nametags will allow access to grower seating and arena floor access for weighing of your pumpkin/squash.
- No one will be allowed on the arena floor during the Weigh-Off with the exception of the staff, grower's family, and grower whose pumpkin is on the scale.
- Upon conclusion of the "All New England Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off," all fruit/vegetables will be loaded into vehicles. Vehicles must be removed to the main parking area where all blocking, bracing, and strapping of fruit/vegetables will be done. Participants will be allowed to re-enter.
- You must be a member of the N.E.G.P.G.A. to win prize money or drawings.
- Winning pumpkins 1st through 5th place shall remain on display at Fairgrounds for duration of Fair in protective display area to qualify for prize money payment. Pumpkins shall be picked up on Tuesday, October 9th between 12:30pm and 3:00 pm.
- To participate in prize structure or drawings, entries must be pre-registered by Sept. 15, 2018.
- One registered contestant with officially weighed and/or measured fruit/vegetable will be randomly drawn to participate in a drawing for a one-in-fifty chance prize of $10,000.
- To be eligible for the $3000 "Pumpkin/Squash Grown in New England Bonus":
- Fruit must be grown in a New England state.
- Fruit must be weighed at the Topsfield Fair Weigh-Off on Sept. 28, 2018 and have an official weight per GPC rules. No damaged, exhibtion, or estimated fruit are eligible.
- If your prize money totals $600.00 or more, you must supply your social security number to the Fair prior to your check being mailed.
Pumpkin/Squash: FIRST $3,500.00 SECOND $3,000.00 THIRD $1500.00 FOURTH $850.00 FIFTH $600.00 SIXTH THROUGH FOURTEEN $200.00 or FIFTHTEEN to TWENTY $100.
Pumpkins/Squash growers not winning any prizes will be entered into a drawing. Five will be drawn and growers will recieve $100 each.
PRETTIEST $200.00 UGLIEST $200.00
Bushel Gourd: FIRST $100.00 SECOND $50.00 THIRD $25.00
Long Gourd: FIRST $300.00 SECOND $200.00 THIRD $100.00
Largest Pumpkin/Squash Grown in New England: $3,000.00 Bonus
If the 1st place Pumpkin/Squash breaks The Topsfield Fair's Record, Additional $ 2018 Bonus
2017 Winner: Woody Lancaster, Topsfield, MA