Winemaking Competition General Info
Scoring will be based on the wine evaluation chart shown below on a scale of 20 points:
|Aroma and Bouquet||6|
Minimum qualifications for place awards are as follows:
|Best of Show||Minimum of 15 points|
|First Place||Minimum of 13 points|
|Second Place||Minimum of 10 points|
|Third Place||Minimum of 7 points|
|Honorable Mention||Minimum of 6 points|
If in the judges' opinion a wine is not worthy of mention, no points will be awarded. Fewer than 4 awards may be made in each category.
The winemaker who garners Best of Show receives a blue ribbon, an engraved plaque and a $100 gift certificate.
The judging room is not open to the public or the contestants.
Amateur Wine Competition Rules
- ENTRY DEADLINE is Saturday, Sept 8th, 2018. Wines are to be delivered to the Topsfield Fair Administration Building.
- ENTRY FEE is $10.00 for each wine entered. TWO BOTTLES per entry are required. One bottle of wine will be for display during the fair. (Make checks payable to Topsfield Fair).
- Each winemaker is limited to a total of EIGHT (8) ENTRIES and no more than THREE (3) ENTRIES per class. Each entry must be of different ingredients or vintages.
- FOUR PLACES in each class will be awarded ribbons. Each place may have more than one ribbon awarded if deemed worthy. When exhibits are not deemed worthy, the judges will not award ribbons. The "Best of Show" will be awarded an engraved plaque and will also receive a $100 gift certificate.
- ONLY HOMEMADE WINE MAY BE ENTERED Amateur wines SHALL NOT CONTAIN ANY COMMERCIAL WINE, FLAVORED BRANDIES OR LIQUEURS unless it is generally accepted in the wine style. (Example: Fortified Port Wine).
- The person entering the wine must be the winemaker.
- Wine should be clear, not hazy & free of visible debris.
- Use ONE registration form for EACH bottle entered. Registration form can be reproduced. Wines may be disqualified if the registration form is incomplete or illegible.
- Attach only the official registration label to the bottle. Use 2 pieces of transparent tape, attaching only at the sides of the label. DO NOT use double stick (two sided) tape.
- We will handle the bottles with care but will not be responsible for any loss or damage.
- The winners will be announced at the Topsfield Fair, September 28th - October 8th, 2018.
- Winners will receive Ribbons via USPS, after the Fair.
- All entrants must be over 21 years of age.
- Entrants can email any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Red Grape - Dry or Semi-dry Vinifera
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Other red viniferas (and blends of Vinifera grapes i.e. Zinfandel & Alicante)
- White Grape - Dry or Semi-dry Vinifera
- Other white viniferas (including blends of white Vinifera grapes)
- Red or White Grape - Semi-sweet or Sweet Vinifera
- French Hybrid Red Grape
- French Hybrid White Grape
- Red or White Grape Concentrate or Kit
- Rose or Blush Wines (May be a blend of red or white grapes)
- Fruit (examples: Peach, Cherry, Plum and /or blends Apple, Pear, Rhubarb and/or blends)
- Novelty/Specialty (Novelty such as flower, vegetable, or herb. Specialty such as Sherry, Madeira, Port or other high alcohol or special wine making method)
- Red Grape Blends (Table Wine)
- White Grape Blends (Table Wine)
10th Amateur Wine Label Contest
The Competition will be held at the Coolidge Building
Chairperson: Richard Adelman, Topsfield, MA
- Labels must reflect good taste and must be submitted permanently mounted on white poster board (or equal material), size 8 1/2" x 11", with entrant's full name and address printed on back of poster board.
- Wine labels can be hand drawn or computer generated and will be judged as separate classes.
- Only the front label should be submitted.
- Labels will be judged at the conclusion of the WineMaking Contest and will be displayed at the Topsfield Fair on September 28th to October 8th, 2018.
- Ribbons and scoring sheets can be picked up at the Topsfield Fairgrounds Administration Building after the competition.
The Wine Label placements are as follows:
- Best of Show
- First Place
- Second Place
- Third Place
- Honorable Mention
The wine label which garners Best of Show receives a blue ribbon, an engraved plaque and a $50 premium.
The judging room is not open to the public nor to the contestants.
Amateur Wine Label Competition Rules
- ENTRY DEADLINE is Sept 8th, 2018. Labels are to be delivered to the Topsfield Fair Administration Building.
- The person entering the label must be the artist.
- Wine label judges will handle the labels with care, but they will not be responsible for any loss or damage.
- The winners will be announced at Topsfield Fair, during the fair.
Enter Wine Label Competition
- Enter Wine Label